Thursday, November 21, 2013

Scripting with Color


Even though this isn't a post with an actual animation this does relate to animation, and storytelling, in a bigger sense.  Idea and visual development is very important because it becomes the space where in our story happens.  It's an important element to consider before diving into animating scenes.
These are images I made back in 2005 for a friend's short film.  I've obviously done a ton of work since then, but I thought it would be fun to share a little blast from the past.  Especially because this is more closely related to the painting and illustration type work that I love doing in my free time.
Anyway, after reading an early version of my friends script I started to imagine what the spaces and lighting might feel like.  I allowed the words to percolate in my mind for a bit before I sat down and quickly visualized them.  I spent about 2 hours on each image just sort of playing around.  The "bar" image was actually built into a 3D set.  A partially animated scene done as well, but unfortunately never married to the finished set based on my concept.  Maybe some day.
I definitely recommend collaborating with people on little projects like this.  The free flow of creative ideas between friends is always refreshing.


No comments:

Post a Comment